The world is full of stimuli and information and our brains are trying to make sense of it all by using all sorts of shortcuts like the color Psychology. Marketers can use these shortcuts to create emotional cues that can persuade prospects to take action and convert.
The same stays true for the use of color psychology in social media marketing.
Have you ever asked yourself why brands seem to use the same colors in their advertisement materials? Is it because they have a certain affinity for a particular color?
Of course not. It’s because research has shown that consumers tend to respond better to certain colors and link them with their needs.
With that in mind, here’s how to use color psychology to boost your social media marketing efforts.
Why Color Psychology Matter?
Our brains process visual information better and faster than it does text. Most people make a subconscious decision about a product or brand within the first 90 seconds. Moreover, the color a brand chooses to use for its products or advertisements materials can impact their acceptance or reaction by 60%.
Research also shows that color equates to about 80% of brand recognition. Just think about some of the most famous brands out there and how quickly you can associate them with a certain color: Coca-Cola – red, Facebook – blue, and so on. For example a study from HubSpot has demonstrated that red color (Bold and dominant color) is more affective in a call to action button than green color (friendly and non-threatening color) in social media marketing. Their results showed that the red button outperformed the green button by 23 percent.
What Color Psychology to apply Based on Social Media Marketing Goals
You may not give too much thought to the colors you use to create your social media marketing ads, but the reality is that your audience responds differently to different colors.
Here’s a more detailed look at what each color communicates to your consumers and how to choose the right one based on your goals.
- Red: Red is a bold and intense color that is sure to capture the attention of your audience. That’s why it’s best to use it in your call to action in social media marketing campaigns to make sure that your audience will not miss the chance to click and convert. It’s also a color that communicates excitement and you want your audience to be as excited as you are about your product, announcement, or offer.
- Orange: Although not as intense as red, orange can still catch the eye of your audience. It’s also a more cheerful color and using it in your social media ads can communicate friendliness and openness.
- Yellow: Yellow is the perfect color if you want to communicate warmth and optimism.
- Green: If you want to evoke health or growth with your social media ads, then you should include the color green in your imagery.
- Blue: Have you noticed how most financial institutions and even some social media platforms preponderantly use the color blue? That’s because it’s a color that evokes trust, stability, and strength.
- Purple: Considered a “royal color,” purple can be used to evoke luxury or creativity.
What Color Should You Use?
Each element of your social media ad tells a story and evokes a certain emotion. The color psychology is no less important than the ad copy or the CTA.
As mentioned above, pay attention to your goals and choose the right color based on that.